Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Looking forward to 2013, reflections on 2012

In 2011, I was devastated with the breakup of Sorry no Ferrari and had doubts of my future playing original music.  2012 shattered those doubts and brought many great things.  First and foremost, my son J was born.  The surf music community welcomed me back with open arms as I joined The Mystery Men? and started a new project, MOONBASE.  Playing with The Mystery Men? reminded me of just how much fun I could have playing surf again, and the role as third guitarist forced me to expand my capabilities and better myself as a musician.  MOONBASE provided a well needed creative outlet as well as the opportunity to play alongside some of the most amazing musicians I know.  2012 also saw the first release from Jeffrey Bützer and the Bicycle Eaters (the Hiding Plastic Spiders 7"), providing part of the score to the Center For Puppetry Arts' Peter Pan, a story on NPR featuring the Bicycle Eaters, and over 30 performances!

Many great things are in store for 2013.  I am currently producing an album for the incredible Kill, Baby...Kill!, a new role which is offering exciting new and interesting challenges.  Both The Mystery Men? and MOONBASE anticipate the recording and release of their debut full-length albums.  A great number of shows are already on the books including The Mystery Men? performing in California for the Surf Guitar 101 convention!

No comments:

Post a Comment